Saturday, July 31, 2010

Movie Review - Despicable Me

Between guys that fly with capes with their underwear outside to British secret agents that drink martini's shaken not stirred to Chuck Norris, being a super villain isn't as glam as it would seem. The problem is the media. We always think super villains live under active volcanoes, or have a secret base on the moon. All they do all day is pet their cat and say cliche lines like "No Mr Bond I expect you to die!" or "and I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you pesky kids". Watching Despicable Me however has finally opened my eyes to what a true super villain is like.
The super villain in question lives in a normal suburban neighbourhood, he has financial problems and family issues. Despicable me takes an interesting look at the life of Gru. The 2nd best super villain in the world. As if being a super villain wasn't tough enough he now needs to compete with a rookie super villain called Vector who is better at being super villainish than he is.
The plot thickens when Gru adopts three orphans as pawns to help him in one of his sinister plots. As you can guess he starts to get attached to them and that's when all those warm cuddly feelings you get from watching movies like this start to creep in.
This movie has an A list voice cast as Steve Carell is Gru, Jason Segel is Vector, Russell Brand is Dr. Nefario and Julie Andrews is Gru's mother to name a few. Despicable Me is directed by Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud and Co-Directed by Sergio Pablos.
Now Despicable Me was very funny at some parts however I think I might be a little too old and cynical to fully appreciate a film like this. If I thought Toy Story 3 was cute overload I basically OD'd on cuteness and started foaming at the mouth and spasming on the floor by the end of the movie. Maybe I am a heartless robot but this movie had too much cuteness.
The thing is I like cute. Being Asian I can't help it. I always choose the cute girl over the sexy one. It might be because I can't get the sexy one but I'd like to think it's just that I appreciate the cute one. However there are two kinds of cute girls. The ones that are cute naturally and the ones that are trying too hard to be cute. This movie is like the latter.
I would watch it with a child or someone childlike on a day you need some cuteness in your life. Watch out for convulsions though because it's hard to tell when the cute toxicity gets to dangerous levels.
Enhanced by Zemanta

18 comments:

  1. I heard with indication to this site from my buddy. He pointed me here and told me I’d find what I need. First thanks to my pal then to you for having those informative articles for visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just searching Bing for fun activities to do when I came at your site.. Looks good to me and it earned a place in my bookmarks! Thank you and keep up the good work! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this will be great movie, good actors and nice plot. I have not go to cinema for more than 4 years, probably I will take my wife this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone makes mistakes, but can like you can recognize the person and review mistake, refuels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To err is human, I think you're good, dare to self to admit his mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHA I like this blog goo work there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great information, thanks for sharing this. I have been looking for it for a while now and it really helps me out and my website.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now pardon? I required! Maybe to choice occur my inspiration pro the week, keep it approaching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. despicables me is really great 3d movie for this month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just searching Bing for fun activities to do when I came at your site.. Looks good to me and it earned a place in my bookmarks! Thank you and keep up the good work! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing how you described the film I can feel the cuteness toxicity already. Im also a fan of all the cute stuff and I couldnt agree any better with you when it comes to girls LoL I would really like to watch this movie. Thanks for the info and happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a pretty good, tounge-in-cheek film that most kids will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is that Gru at the picture? Oh my he is super cute. I kinda like the story in which the lead role is a cute super villain. Movies nowadays always focus on superheroes or good guys. This kinda new for me and i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahahaha... Love it! I like the kind of this film. I'm looking forward to this... Thanks for posting and more power!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The movie Despicable Me is a 2010 American computer-animated 3-D comedy film from Universal Studios and Illumination Entertainment that was released on July 9, 2010 in the United States. The film stars Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Russell Brand, Julie Andrews, Will Arnett, Kristen Wiig, and Miranda Cosgrove. The story is of a supervillain named Gru who plans to use three orphan girls as pawns for a grand scheme, only to find that their innocent love is profoundly changing him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Despite of the fact that i was not able to watch the movie but it seems that i had already, after reading this post I look forward to watch this movie by myself too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now this is what I call a great movie! I just watched it last night with my boyfriend and we really did enjoy the whole story. We just love how the story started and ended perfectly. Hopefully producers could create more movies like this.

    ReplyDelete